Saturday, April 3, 2010

Old North State

Ten years ago I lived in NC. It wasn't a great period in my life, and for some reason that damn state keeps pulling me back in. The family and I flew out to visit my sister. Since she lives in an apartment, we all decided to go camping. I don't love camping but it was pretty great.

Yes, I did say something positive. I know, I am a little freaked out too.

The best part was hanging out with my sister and her family. The worst part was the large black snake I say in the woods when I went to take a pee. It was shocking. We also went to Fort Fisher, the last open port in the Confederacy. I walked the Union line of assault with Red on my back as she barked order to imaginary solders. Of course most of the orders where about getting sandwiches.

At the beach we all looked in amazement as Kat plugged into the freezing water. My sister and myself wouldn't go within ten feet. Kat just ran into it. We took Smile and my nephew to a train museum. It was nice, in kind of a creepy way. I know as a reenactor this is kind of the pot/kettle situation, but model railroading just seems, well, dumb. The only thing that would make Model Railroads interesting are if someone added Godzilla, but it never seems to happen.

I am currently in Virginia. I'll let you know how that turns out. Apparently it is for lovers.

1 comment:

MackenziLee said...

once I was in the office of my professor of mine, and she had a sign on her computer that said "Virginia is for lovers" but for some reason (most likely that I'm dumb) I read it "Viriginia is for Losers." I commented on what a funny sign it was. She looked at me strangely and said "Haven't you heard that befoer?" and i replied "Well I went to Virginia once and I liked it so I guess I'm a loser". She gave me another strange look. About ten minutes later I looked at it again, realized my mistake, and spent the rest of the meeting debating whether it would be more awkward to say something or just leave it.