Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It's a Long Way to Tennesee

Thursday, I left work a bit early to meet one of my Civil War comrades. He was in need of a few items for an event in Tennessee. An event I wasn't planning on attending. The next thing I knew I was eating a nasty gas station sandwich somewhere in Nebraska at 3:00 in the morning. I don't know why I let my self get talked into these things, but I am glade it happens. The event was....... well, lets call it educational.

Luckily the ride was not all that bad. They two guys I went with are fairly talented conversationalist and easy traveling companions. Plus I got to yell obscenities out the window at Missouri.

Here is the background of the event. Just so you know I went as a US soldier.
http://www.intextlighting.com/Backwater1865/Welcome.html


Here are the event highlights/wtf moments.
1, It was held in Tennessee, yet we were portraying event that took place in North Carolina.
2. Some guy portrayed a soldier who had been arrested for rape and was latter executed. I found this extremely creepy, and treated him accordingly.
3. We had to always maintain 1st person. Meaning we could not talk about events outside of the 1860's. Most people find this challenging so there isn't much conversation. Making my loud and somewhat obnoxious behavior much more apparent.
4. It rained the entire time. At least I got to see what it feels like to march in Tennessee mud. In case you are curious it is about he same as Utah, Virginia, New Mexico or any other mud on the stupid planet.
5. We built fortifications. I chopped a tree in half with an ax. They were not the fortifications I would trust my life too, but we gave it the old college try.
6. One of my companions captured a Rebel. We named him "Son of a Bitch."
7. It was so cold we were forced to share blankets, aka spoon. Luckily we are all secure in our masculinity, at least that is what we are telling ourselves.

All in all I am glad I went.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'll have to disagree with point number 4. Tennessee mud seems to be breed apart, it's sticky, nasty mud, and there was more mud there than anywhere else I've ever seen.

Flashy said...

My wife tried to clean some off my trousers and said the same thing.