Thursday, June 18, 2009

Camping and Yellowstone

We went to Yellowstone last weekend. The camera battery died so I don't have any pictures to post of the event. The kids had a great time, seeing Buffalo, Elk, and sleeping in the same bed as dad. Of course the they insist on sleeping perpendicular to dad.

When I was a boy scout people used to tell me about all the wonderful things scouting would teach me. These "wonderful" lessons must have been taught when I was sick or something because the only really useful I learned from boy scouts is that I don't care for camping. I don't understand the appeal of going out to into the woods and pretending you are homeless. Really, once you have seen one damn tree, river, rock or lake you have seen them all. So if camping is going out to the woods and pretending your are homeless than motor home camping is like going out to the woods and pretending you live in a trailer park. The major difference being instead of beer people drank wine and instead of walking around in tank tops they wore polo shirts. I tried (and failed) to successful work "Oh snap" into my vocabular.

Don't get me wrong I am grateful for motor home. If I have to choose I am all about the trailer park, the wife's parents are generous to take us along. My favorite part of Yellowstone is the architecture, the bubbling ponds of goo are nice and all but just not really my thing. Smiley's was the stairs and Red's was any and all animals.

I also experienced my first tire blow out. While we were getting it fixed I had the best enchilada with Smiley. He mostly wanted to drink my water but it was a fun father son taco moment.

No comments: