Saturday, December 19, 2009

Sexism at the Fabric Store

I sew, rather well I might add. I make all of my clothing used in my historic interpretation. I do my utmost to follow 19th century techniques, patterns and research to find the most correct material.

When I go to the fabric store I always get this hint of "silly boy sewing is for girls" which I find a bit distasteful. Given, this may be all in my head. Yesterday I went into a quilting store in search of some specific cotton. While there, I inquired about silk. The lady showed me some fake silk. Of course this may look the part, but it does not breath the same as real silk and will hamper my recreating the experience of wearing a proper 19th century cravat. I don't falt her for this because few reenactors even understand this attitude. Then she began telling me about how my mom or wife can help me with my "little" project, then says that is "after all that is what they are there for."

I am surrounded by very strong and successful women. My mom is an extremely successful accountant. My mother in law is a gifted and successful nurse. Both these women sew very well, but they also have some mad technical skills. My wife who does not sew quit as well as I do is, frankly, the most brilliant, caring, patient, loving person on the whole damn planet. I like to think they are "there" for more than to help me with a little sewing.

In this ladies defense I am sure she meant that moms, wives, fathers, husbands and families in general are there to help each other.

I also came a crossed this story the other day a sales person say "happy holidays" to a lady. She got pissed and started yelling at him about how it is "Merry Christmas" and he should not have to say anything different. He responds, by telling her he is an atheist so for him it is "Happy Holidays." I love the Holidays.

2 comments:

That Girl said...

Wow. I'm offended by that. I do enjoy quilting, but if someone told my hubs that I was there just to help him sew, I'd be seriously pissed. People are so dumb...

Anonymous said...

So I'm not sure who you are, but I keep getting hits off your page. Which is good since I find your writing interesting and entertaining.

And I love this post, by the way.