Thursday, October 9, 2008

To Boldly Go

A month ago the CFO of our company asked me what kind of television shows I enjoyed watching. The general answer to this simple question is Science Fiction. A more specific answer would be Star Trek, Dr Who and Firefly. The answer I gave was that my favorite show were mysteries. Not really a lie but not the whole truth. The CFO is a former Pro Baseball player and the very definition of cool. When one admits to being a "trekkie" certain assumptions are made, none of which are very faltering. Thus you can perhaps understand my reluctance to admit such a thing.

Life is to short to be overly concerned with such things but since I acted like a Targ (A kind of Klingon dog) I thought I would make recompense for this base disloyalty by dedicate this entire post to Science Fiction.

I have listed some of the trivia I have picked up over the years. Please don't mistake this for bragging, no sane person would take pride that they have wasted valuable brain power remembering this kind of crap. I did not use the internet, these are thing I really have stored in "my little gray cells."

1. The self destruct code for the USS Enterpirse is
11A
11A2B
1B2B3
000 Destruct 0 (000 Destruct 1 I beleive will cause a warp core breach)
2. "Kapla" is the Klingon word for Success and I use is as often as can get away with. Qo'noS happens to be the Klingon home world. I even know why Klingon's don't have ridges on their foreheads in the original series, but won't go into the details here.
2. I Here is a list of quotes I have quietly and careful worked into presentations.
"What does God need with a starship?"
"Time is a Luxury you do not have."
"Resistance is futile."
"Assimilate this!"
"KHAN!!!!!" (This one usually gets a few looks)
"That green-blooded son of a bitch!"
"What we leave behind is as important as how we’ve lived."
"One damn minute, Admiral."
"
Believing oneself to be perfect is often the sign of a delusional mind."
"Don't try to understand it; it's far beyond your limited ability to comprehend."

3. This might sound kind of like an oxymoron but I can intelligently argue why the an Imperial Star Destroy is no match for the Enterprise.
4. Daleks come from the planet Skaro and were created by the evil and psychotic genius named Davros. They hate everyone and everything include kittens, pie, tacos, Chinese food and humans. I am always impressed they can be so formidable with a toilet plunger as an arm. Time and time again they show up shouting "Exterminate." I have worked long and hard on my Dalek impression. 5. Firefly has made me cry one more than one occasion, really weepy tears.
6. The USS Prometheus is a long range tactcal vessel with mutli vecter assalt mode, meaning she can split into three indepedent attack units. She can be crewed by as few as four poeple. Apparently she fairly easy to steal.

So there you have it. For those of you still reading, I am impressed with your dedication.

Live Long and Prosper, and remeber,

"You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her home."

2 comments:

Leah said...

I don't even know who you are . . . but you're scaring me!

Stacey said...

Love the Mal quote. We're all geeks at heart. Some of us are just more honest with ourselves about it.