Sunday, September 21, 2008

Like a Horse and Carriage

This week was my younger sisters wedding. Here are the three of us. My older sister on the right, the younger in the middle and of course yours truly (looking quite smashing in that fantastic suit) on the left.

It was an excellent wedding. It had everything required for a successful wedding: dancing grandma, lots of hugging/crying, smooth execution, uncomfortable picture taking, and of course meatballs. Late the night before my soon to be bother in law called me and asked me to be a "witness" to the wedding. Of course, I was honored, and the tiniest bit surprised. I am always a little surprised when people ask me to be a part of this kind of things. I don't consider myself a spiritual person and have, on occasion, been actually accusing of driving away "the spirit." Whatever that is supposed to mean. Anyways the best part about being a "witness" is I had box seats to the whole affair. My sister looked quite beautiful if I am allowed to say that sort of thing, and the smile on her face was priceless. Not in a cheese credit card commercial sense but in a more legitimate "this really cannot be purchased" sort of way. I think that was my favorite part. The worst part about being a witness is you have to listen to a creepy "powers, priesthoods and dominions" lecture from the guy who does the paper work in the lobby. He told me I was supposed to teach my sister and her new husband something from this unique (polite term for craze ass) discourse. I couldn't make heads or tails, and since I am sure it was not "official" I say to hell with it.

Here is a shot of the other witness, my dad, and the groom. The groom has many endearing traits such as a sense of humor, pleasant disposition, is a non-smoker, but the thing I like the best about him is he really can kick ass. I mean that in the most literal sense of the term. He is a hand to hand army combat instructor and a former Ultimate Fighter. He has all the ass kicking credentials one could ask for. When your me it is always good to know a few people like this.

This is my mom and older sister.
The ring ceremony was incredible.(I almost said breath taking but that is such a nebulous term.) It was kind of like a movie that makes you laugh and cry, like like Serenity, or maybe Star Trek VI. There was dancing at the reception. The happy bride and groom and some friend (include one wild grandmother) were "getting down" if that is the correct term. My sister wanted me to join in so, this being her day, I did as I was told. When I found myself on the dance floor it suddenly occurred to me that I didn't have the foggiest idea what I should do. I tried moving my hands and then kind of bouncing up and down. Nothing felt quite natural, so I made a rather hasty retreat. If you have read me profile you know I am a mathematics major. Those of us who have suffered through Inferential Statistics should not be asked to dance. We have already suffered so. A

Over all it was an excellent wedding. My sister looked absolutely stunning, no major mishaps. It was really quite a success.

Oh yeah, I wanted to pass a bit of knowledge gained on using the temple parking lot under the Conference Center. At the desk inside they give you token so you don't have to pay the $10 fee. Apparently a SuperSonic car wash token works just as well and can be purchased for $1 at any SuperSonic location.

1 comment:

That Girl said...

OMG! You crack me up!! I am dying over here!!