Saturday, September 13, 2008

145 of Gettysburg


For my second post I figured I should focus on most recent trip back east to 145th Reenactment of the Battle of Gettysburg. We fell in with an excellent Company out of the Old North State. The 6th NC was one of the finest groups I have fallen in with. They were safe, knowledgeable and dedicated. Attached is a photo of our Company.
The most memorable part of the event was Picket's Charge. We had almost the exact same number of guys that were in the company we were portraying. Before the event we drew slips of paper that told us what happen to us and when it happened. I was "killed" shortly after the half way point. As I lay on the ground I watched as our company melted like ice held to a flame until it dissolved. It was incredible to see.

The second most memorable part was on one of the march to the field. We passed a women prancing around in her period underwear and nothing else. It was far more modest than what one would see at the mall but not something I would elect to see again. We got into a dsicussion in which Brian commented "I thought we were fighting for Southern Bells." To which someone replyed "Nope just slavery, we are all to lazy to do our own work" Maybe it was the heat, but we sure thought that was funny.

In our Hotel our breakfast nook was named after Devils Den a horrific part of the battle and perhaps the closest think to hell on earth. I thought abut this while I sat eating my yogurt and butter my toasted enlgish muffin and felt dirty.
Above in the photo of the guys I attended with. not the prettiest bunch but we made an good show of ourselves.

No comments: