Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Long Live the Hud

This may not come as a shock to you but I have never really cared for News Year's. When I was in school it marked the end of bliss and the return to torment. As I got older it became an uncomfortable reminder of mine own mortality. When I had a job I generally tried to work, thus at least keeping my mind occupied.

I still remember 1999 sitting in a dark, sad, little apartment in Cary, North Carolina with a large, dirty, rather smelly fellow who was snoring loudly in the next room, listening to all the joyful, drunken sounds of party attendees, wondering what evil I had committed in another life to be where I was and why News Years was always so very depressing. also wondered if other poeple felt this way and that is why they drank on New Years Eve.

That is, until I made watching this movie, a New's Years Eve tradition.
It is a rather dark comedy about a naive Mr Norville Barnes, who unwittling becomes the Present of Huducker Industries. Long live the Hud. Mr Barnes has an idea, you know, for the kids.
I won't spoil anymore of it, but recommend you watch it.

You know what this movie teaches me? Well not a damn thing, but every year it reminds me of something Warrening Hudscker said "Failure should never lead to despare, for despair looks only to the past in business and in love, the Future is Now."

As 2008 comes to a close and old mother earth begins at least one more journy around the Sun, I will be, once again, listening to those drunken party goers, hopeing that maybe, just maybe, this year will be a little more giddy, a little more pleasent, a little more exiciting. I hope it's your year. Hell, if it's not we alway have 2010.

Party on, Party on.

3 comments:

That Girl said...

Ha ha ha!! I will be renting that one tomorrow! You can count on it!

Leah said...

You Rock! You're one of my favorite people on Planet earth!
Cheers,
Leah

Melissa said...

I second the motion. This is a great movie.