Tuesday, August 24, 2010

New Mormon Add Compaign

Despite the fact that I no longer believe much of what Mormonism teaches, it is a much bigger part of my life than I would like. I live in a Mormon-centric culture. I attend Sacrament meeting almost every week to help my wife with the kids, as well as ward parties and other sundry functions.

Mormonism often really frustrates me. For example the recent Ad Campaign. This article explains that frustration. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/holly-welker/mormon-pr-campaign-good-m_b_690383.html Last Sunday's Sacrament was so unbearable boring that I almost took my daughter to 7-11 to get a cup of coffee. I hate praying. When you don't really believe in god it just feels down right silly. My stake has a "policy" that if only one member of a couple comes in for a temple recommend interview they like to meet with the other. This of course lead to me answering a number of awkward questions including if I loved my wife and kids and wanted what is best for them.


I keep trying to convince myself that this line of questioning was meant to illustrate that love and family transcend acceptance of the Book of Mormon, but it felt more like the message was, if I can't accept that God commanded Polyandry (polyandry bothers me much more than your run of the mill polygamy) then obviously I no longer love my family.

Personally, I think the fact I even showed up is educe of my attempt to be supportive.

No comments: